Stugl is located north of Bergün on a narrow terrace high above the valley of the Albula at 1551 m altitude. The houses on the village street have strong Engadin style influences and are partially provided with original preserved and dated sgraffito decorations.
On a small, rocky hill stands the important and well-known Romanesque church of St. John. The church is surrounded by a walled cemetery. Inside there are well preserved frescoes from the 14th century. In the past, Stuls was only a farming village, while today only one farmer operates agriculture.